Monday, 14 September 2026

When Self-Stigma Makes Us Run From The Bells That Are Ringing.

The bells are ringing. Can you hear them? The bell at the clinic saying "Free HIV test today". The bell in your head saying "You should know your status". The bell from your friend saying "Bro, let’s go check". The bell from your body saying "Something is not right". But you keep walking away. Why? Because of self-stigma. What is self-stigma? Self-stigma is when we judge ourselves first, before anyone else judges us. It’s when we say: "I did risky things. This is my fault." "If I have HIV, I deserve it." "I am dirty. I am bad. I am finished." And because we believe those lies about ourselves, we run. We run from the bells that are ringing constantly to save us. The truth is: HIV does not care about your past. Risky life happens. Mistakes happen. One night happens. That does not make you worthless. That does not mean you should hide. But self-stigma tells you to hide. It pushes you away from testing, away from treatment, away from life. Here’s what happens when we listen to self-stigma: 1. We ignore the bells. We see the clinic and cross the road. 2. We lie to ourselves. "I’m fine. I feel okay. Maybe it’s nothing." 3. We wait until it’s too late. Until the sickness grows legs and wings, and our life is crippled to dust. 4. We hurt the people we love. Because we didn’t test early, we couldn’t protect them too. HIV is not pregnancy that you can abort. Once you're into it, you're into it. Nothing on this earth will erase that mark. But medicine can control it. Medicine can let you live long and healthy. The only thing that can truly destroy you is hiding. So how do we stop running? We forgive ourselves first. You are not your mistake. You are not your risky night. You are a human being who deserves health, love, and a future. Testing is not punishment. Testing is love. Love for yourself. Love for your family. Love for your children who need you around. Be a real man. Be a real woman. Face the bell. Walk into the clinic. When you do that, something changes. The shame gets smaller. The fear gets smaller. And you become the strongest person you’ve ever been. Because the strongest people are not those who never made mistakes. The strongest people are those who faced the truth and chose life anyway. To you reading this: I know the bells are loud right now. I know your heart is beating fast. But please don’t run anymore. Go test. Know your status. If negative — good, stay safe and keep testing. If positive — good, start treatment today and live. *Stop punishing yourself for the past.* *Start fighting for your future.* The bells are ringing because someone loves you. Answer them. --- Support Us reach more people.

💙 Support Healthy Living PNG

Help us break self-stigma and bring HIV education to more communities in PNG.

Donate Now

Tenkyu tru lo supportim 🙏

---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

hlbpng

When Self-Stigma Makes Us Run From The Bells That Are Ringing.

The bells are ringing. Can you hear them? The bell at the clinic saying "Free HIV test today". The bell in your head saying ...