Monday, 7 September 2026
Love, Life & Diabetes: Choosing Health Together
I was 42 when my doctor said the words I was afraid to hear: “Your blood sugar is 14.0. Your blood pressure is 140/90. And you’ve gained 20kg.”
I’m John. I live in, and like a lot of people in the US, UK, Australia and Canada, life had gotten busy. Work deadlines. Takeaway dinners. Driving everywhere. Stress.
Sugar in my tea. Bread with everything. No time for a walk.[City]
At first I ignored it. I thought diabetes was “an old person problem.”
But the fatigue hit hard. Thirst all night. Blurry vision. I was scared — not just for me, but for my partner, my kids, my future.
That’s when my doctor and nurse sat me down for a real talk. No judgment. Just facts.
They told me 3 things that changed everything:
1. Food is medicine.
We stopped buying sugary drinks and processed snacks. We started cooking at home again. More vegetables from the garden and local market. More water. Less white bread, less soda. In the US we call it “meal prep.” In the UK it’s “batch cooking.” In AU and Canada we just call it “looking after yourself.” Same idea.
2. Move your body, every day.
I didn’t join a gym. I started with a 1-hour walk. Morning, with my partner. We hold hands, we talk, we get fresh air. Sometimes we cycle on weekends. In Canada they walk in the snow. In Australia they walk on the beach. In the UK it’s a park loop. In the US it’s the neighborhood trail. The point is: move.
3. Check in and stay consistent.
Clinic every month. ARVs for HIV patients, and for me — blood sugar checks, BP checks, and my diabetes medication. No skipping. My partner comes with me. She reminds me to take my tablets. She pours me water instead of Coke.
6 months later:
Weight: 90kg → 80kg
Blood Sugar: 14.0 → 5.5
Blood Pressure: 140/90 → 120/80
I’m not “cured.” Type 2 diabetes doesn’t go away. But it is _managed_.
And I feel alive again.
*Here’s what I’ve learned, and I want to share this with you in the US, UK, AU & Canada:*
Diabetes is common. 1 in 10 adults has it. But shame keeps people quiet.
Don’t wait until it’s serious. Go to your GP, your clinic, your primary care doctor. Ask questions.
You don’t need expensive programs. You need water, whole food, movement, and people who love you.
My partner and I now walk every morning. We cook together. We laugh more.
Diabetes forced us to slow down. Ironically, it gave us more _life_ — and more _love_.
To anyone reading this:
You can do this. One walk. One glass of water. One healthy meal.
Start today. For yourself. For the people who need you.
You are not alone in this.
#DiabetesManagement #Type2DiabetesLifestyle #HealthyLiving #PreventDiabetes #LoveAndHealth
---
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Type 2 Diabetes Management: How I Dropped My Blood Sugar From 14.0 to 5.5.
I’m 42. I live in Port Moresby, and like millions in the US, UK, Australia and Canada, I thought diabetes was something I could “deal with l...
-
Full blown AIDS The HIV spreads quickly due to a combination of factors. 1. Transmission Routes: HIV can be transmitted through sexual co...
-
This information is very, very IMPORTANT . AIDS patient . Take it seriously. Take time to read it, absorb it, and understand it to act on i...
-
Betel nut, in Melanesian Tok-Pisin it's called buai. It's a seed, covered with hard skin/cover. It's grown on an areca palm tre...
-
Diabetes Amupuated leg The six early signs and symptoms of diabetes. If you experience any of following, do check-up with medical profession...
-
Full blown AIDS patient Veronica, a full-blown AIDS patient, was single and 26 years old when she was diagnosed. She was the first of fi...
-
Cholesterol build-up narrowing blood vessel. The presence of high cholesterol levels is a health risk. If no actions are taken to lower the ...
-
Papua New Guineans are not seeking the benefits of professional counselling services. It plays an important role in saving the lives of peop...
-
Diabetes claimed the life of a millionaire. PNG 100 kina note money This is a true-life story of a son of a subsistence farmer who worked ti...
-
Stroke is undeniably one of the Types of stroke images leading causes of death worldwide, claiming numerous lives each year. There are seve...
-
Beautifu Women with HIV . Introduction : HIV, or Human Immunodeficiency Virus, remains a significant public health concern worldwide. Contra...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!
hlbpng