Monday, 7 September 2026
Power of Resilience & Courage- HIV Story
He came in uniform. A mobile police man, with money in his hand and promises in his mouth.
I was young. I was struggling. Life in Lae was hard and money was short.
He said kind words. He said he would take care of me. For one or two nights of love, he gave me money. I gave in, not knowing the weight of what I was carrying home.
That was it. After those nights, he left and never returned.
A month later, my body told me something was wrong. My normal menstrual cycle did not come. Panic filled me. Deep down I knew — I was pregnant. And the father was the policeman who was now gone.
With shaking hands, I went to the nearby clinic. The nurse did the tests. Then she said the words that broke me:
"You are HIV positive."
The room went silent. The worst pain wasn’t the diagnosis. The worst pain was the questions that hit me all at once.
Will that policeman ever return to care for his child?
Will my baby be infected?
Will I have to live on medicine for the rest of my life?
How will I survive? How will I raise a child?
I broke down right there. I cried and cried. The pain felt like a heavy log on my chest, and nothing could lift it. I felt shame, fear, and hopelessness all at once. I walked home with a troubled heart and mind, feeling broken and useless.
But in that same clinic, I saw a small light. It was the nurse. She did not judge me. She sat with me. She spoke gently and gave me medical advice.
_"Sister, all will be okay,"_ she said. _"You are not alone. Take your medicine every day. Come to the clinic. We will walk this road together."_
Those words were the first step in picking up the broken pieces.
I made a decision that day. I would be faithful to my treatment. I went to the clinic constantly. I took my HIV medicine every single day, without fail. It was not easy. Some days I was tired. Some days I was afraid. But I remembered the nurse’s voice and my unborn child.
The months passed. With the support of the clinic and the kindness of that nurse, I stayed strong. And then came the greatest day — I gave birth.
I was terrified. But the medical team was ready. Because I was faithful to my medicine and the clinic’s care, my baby was born *uninfected*. A healthy girl. A new life, with a whole world ahead of her.
The nurse cried with me that day. Not tears of sadness, but tears of hope. Her support made me whole again. She taught me that HIV is not the end of life. It is a condition we live with, with courage.
Today, that little girl is in Grade Three at the nearby primary school. Every morning I walk her to school. She is healthy, beautiful, and sharp in class. She does not have HIV. She runs, she laughs, she dreams.
And me? I am doing well. I am still on my medicine. I still visit the clinic. I have learned to live with HIV, not hide from it. The medicine is part of my life now, just like food and water. It keeps me strong for my daughter.
The mobile policeman never returned. But I stopped waiting for him. I found strength I didn’t know I had.
*This is the power of resilience and courage.*
It is waking up every day and choosing life.
It is taking your medicine faithfully.
It is raising a child who is free.
It is walking to school with your head held high, knowing you overcame the heaviest log.
To any sister reading this: You are not useless. You are not hopeless. The clinic is there. The nurses are there. There is medicine. There is life. There is hope.
.....
Need someone to talk to about your mental health? Book your FREE 30-minute counselling session today.
👉 https://forms.gle/eWhVc3RBs5uSCFwm7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
72,630+ People Reached: 3 Months of HIV Awareness in PNG and Abroad
Breaking silence, sharing truth, and offering support - one post at a time. 3 Months. Thousands of Conversations Started. When I started s...
-
Full blown AIDS The HIV spreads quickly due to a combination of factors. 1. Transmission Routes: HIV can be transmitted through sexual co...
-
This information is very, very IMPORTANT . AIDS patient . Take it seriously. Take time to read it, absorb it, and understand it to act on i...
-
Betel nut, in Melanesian Tok-Pisin it's called buai. It's a seed, covered with hard skin/cover. It's grown on an areca palm tre...
-
Diabetes Amupuated leg The six early signs and symptoms of diabetes. If you experience any of following, do check-up with medical profession...
-
Full blown AIDS patient Veronica, a full-blown AIDS patient, was single and 26 years old when she was diagnosed. She was the first of fi...
-
Cholesterol build-up narrowing blood vessel. The presence of high cholesterol levels is a health risk. If no actions are taken to lower the ...
-
Papua New Guineans are not seeking the benefits of professional counselling services. It plays an important role in saving the lives of peop...
-
Diabetes claimed the life of a millionaire. PNG 100 kina note money This is a true-life story of a son of a subsistence farmer who worked ti...
-
Stroke is undeniably one of the Types of stroke images leading causes of death worldwide, claiming numerous lives each year. There are seve...
-
Beautifu Women with HIV . Introduction : HIV, or Human Immunodeficiency Virus, remains a significant public health concern worldwide. Contra...

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting!
hlbpng